Friday 4 November 2011

Music Therapy

Thank you to Mum of One and Something Blue 2 for tagging me in this great meme from Mammy Woo.

But it has been tough.

I was asked to tell you my top three most moving songs. It could be that the song moves me to tears, or onto the dance floor or into a *cough* warm embrace ;-). So I have spent hours searching through my music archives (which are not very extensive) and have these 3 for you. Hope you like them :-)

My first choice is from Richard Ashcroft in the Verve with Bittersweet Symphony. The string opening to this song completely moves my spirit and brings a smile to my face. I should point out that I am not a great listener to lyrics so there may well be a completely depressing verse in there somewhere but I shall gloss over that and focus on the music which I find stirring and deep and uplifting.



My next choice is a dancefloor classic from my more youthful days. I remember throwing some moves to this with the Mr back in the day. I give you Soul II Soul and Back To Life.



And finally I was torn between two songs that are both vocally and lyrically right up there. I have shared my love of Suzanne Vega's Tom's Diner with you before so instead I want to share Hazel O'Connor with you and her fantastic Will You. I just love the lyrics to this, throwing me back to a more 'single' period of my life.



I am shocked that a Take That tune didn't creep in but with only three songs I was forced to relegate the boys further down the list. Now if there was a meme about the soundtrack to your life, well maybe they would make it onto that one.

So who's next for hours of ipod reminiscing? Loving what Mammasaurus has been doing with the Love New Blogs site so I am going to pick 5 blogs from there that are new to me and maybe new to you too.

Grab your headphones:

Me He and Them
Cheetahs In My Shoes
Older Mum

X



5 comments:

  1. Hurrah! Great choices. Wow Back to Life-INSPIRED! Love it x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers for handing the baton. This is going to be tough as I used to be a DJ and so have a rather large collection of records - and love all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love the first two and so wish Tom's Diner was on here. Do do do do, do do do do, do do do do do do do do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back to life, back to reality... etc Oh that's a classic. Love the first one too, I used to play that song over and over VERY LOUDLY in my room at uni (my housemates probably hated me). Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally we have replied to your tag. Sorry it took so long...we had to find the music that really meant something!
    Here it is
    http://meheandthem.wordpress.com/2011/12/12/music-as-therapy/

    ReplyDelete

Oooh, I do like a good comment :-)